½ lb (500g) of lean ground beef
2 cups of water
¼ yellow or sweet onion
2 cloves of garlic
4 tbsp taco seasoning mix
¼ red bell pepper
¼ yellow bell pepper
sliced lettuce (suggest red or green leaf)
shredded cheddar cheese or other cheese
guacomole (links to my recipe)
Taco Seasoning Mix:
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
3 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp chilli powder
2 tsp dried red pepper flakes
1 ½ tsp oregano
½ tsp marjoram
1 tsp cumin
½ tbsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
- Prepare the taco seasoning. In a bowl, combine all the spices mentioned above. Add more red pepper flakes or chilli powder for extra heat.
- Dice the onion and garlic.
- In a large saucepan, add a little olive oil and add the diced onion and garlic. Heat in low-medium until they start to caramelize.
- Add the ground beef and using a wooden spoon or other, break up the meat. Cook on medium heat until meat looks cooked (roughly 10 minutes)
- Add 2 cups of water and 4 tbsp of taco seasoning to the beef.
- Let simmer on low heat for 15 minutes, mixing a few times.
- While the beef mix is cooking, prepare the lettuce, grate the cheese, prepare the guacomole (if you are making it from scratch) and salsa.
- Dice up the bell peppers for another topping.
- Preheat oven to 400 ºF. Place the taco shells on a cookie sheet, upside down (like a tent) and bake for 5 minutes.
- Place your toppings in bowls and get ready for a tasty meal! 🙂