My Favourite Roast Beef Recipe!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Marinating Time: 4-12hrs for best results
Oven Temperature: 375ºF
Cook Time: 2 hours
Makes 6 to 8 servings
1 oven beef roast, about 6 pounds
5 garlic cloves, smashed
¾ cup freshly cut horseradish (roughly a 3 inch piece)
Needles from 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
Leaves from 4 fresh thyme sprigs
2 tbsp sea salt
3 tbsp freshly ground black pepper or crushed Peppercorns
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
¾ cup white wine
1 head garlic, halved
- Prepare the Horseradish – Peel the horseradish and grate using a cheese grater
- In a small bowl mash together the garlic, horseradish, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, and olive oil to make a paste-like consistency.
- Massage the paste generously over the entire roast
- Place roast and paste in a Ziploc bag and let marinate. Marinating overnight gives the BEST results.
—— Cooking the Roast ——-
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Lay the beef in a large roasting pan.
- Put the pan in the oven and roast the beef for about 2 hours for medium-rare (or approximately 20 minutes per pound). Check the internal temperature of the roast in several places with an instant-read thermometer; it should register 125 degrees F. for medium-rare.
- While the roast is in the oven, heat up any left over horseradish paste in a frying pan over medium heat as it was on the raw meat. Once it starts to boil, tale away from heat. Baste the roast 2-3 times with this mix to keep it moist.
- Remove the beef to a carving board and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Pour the pan juices into a fat separator or small bowl and set aside to allow the fat and beef juices to separate. Pour off and discard the fat.
** You can make a tasty gravy by using the juices from the roast, and adding either corn starch or better yet, tapioca starch while whisking the mix over low heat until it reaches the thickness you like. Do NOT use HIGH heat.